Historic Markers Across Alabama



Shiloh Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at the church on N Herring Rd south of U.S. 80, Opelika, AL
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 26.495    W 085° 17.538
  32.44158333    -85.2923
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJ7AM
 



Text:

The Shiloh Baptist Church was constituted on March 27, 1852. Shortly thereafter, a house of worship was erected on what is now the present church site. The earliest marked grave in the church cemetery bears the date of 1854. A new building was constructed in 1876 and is currently being used for Sunday school rooms and a fellowship hall. At that time, the church was situated on the east side of the road. In 1947 the building was renovated and the entry was changed to face the west side of Russell County 21, which had been re-routed. Classrooms were added in 1947 and the brick sanctuary was completed and dedicated on March 22, 1970.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Shiloh Baptist Church, 1990.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1990




End of Shiloh Baptist Church