Historic Markers Across Alabama



Spanish Fort, 1689-1691



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on U.S. Highway 165 at Holy Trinity, Alabama.
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 13.237    W 085° 00.353
  32.22061666    -85.00588333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNJNY
 



Text:

East of here, on the Chattahoochee River, was the "fort among the Apalachicolas," most northern of the Spanish settlement in eastern North America. A palisaded "strong house" built by Captain Enrique Primo de Rivera to check activities of English traders, it was destroyed when the garrison was called to St. Augustine because of a threatened attack by the French. Undisturbed except by natural forces, the ruins remained visible but unrecognized for 250 years. Research by Mark E. Fretwell and a search of the ground by Brother Finbar Ray led to their identification and designation as a National Historic Landmark in 1966.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Russell County Historical Commission 1986.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1986




End of Spanish Fort, 1689-1691