Historic Markers Across Alabama



Susie E. Allen Elementary School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: in front of the school on Eleventh Avenue, Phenix City, Alabama.
County: Russell
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1953 the Phenix City Elementary School for Negroes was constructed during the tenure of L. P. Stough, Phenix City School Superintendent. It was built to accommodate 488 students with 13 classrooms, a multi-purpose room, clinic, library, cafeteria and storage rooms. Miss Susie E. Allen served as principal of the school from 1934 until her death on August 3, 1961. On December 7, 1961 the Phenix City Board of Education voted to change the name to Susie E. Allen Elementary School. A dedication service was held at the school on November 11, 1962 to honor Miss Allen for her outstanding service to the community, nearby cities and the State of Alabama.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Russell County African American Historical Preservation Society, Inc., 1998.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  1998



End of Susie E. Allen Elementary School