Historic Markers Across Alabama



Uchee Chapel Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on N Uchee Rd (Route 22), Uchee, Alabam
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 21.242    W 085° 19.903
  32.35403333    -85.33171666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJA0C
 



Text:

This circa 1859 building is a very good and intact example of the temple front house of worship in the purest form of the Greek Revival style. It was constructed by L. S. Johnson at the same time as the nearby Good Hope Baptist Church. The Uchee Chapel membership dates from 1836. An early log church building was erected in 1838. The first pastor was David E. McIntyre, by his second conference year, could report 124 white and 53 black members. The church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.

Erected by Uchee Chapel Methodist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1998.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  1998



End of Uchee Chapel Methodist Church