Historic Markers Across Alabama



Villula



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: in front of Villula Cemetery, about 2 miles South of Seale, Alabama. On U.S. HWY 431 South.
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 15.643    W 085° 09.709
  32.26071666    -85.16181666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMMPF8
 



Text:

Originally known as Vilula, was a thriving and cultural community which was formed about 1848 as a stage coach stop. For many years the only post office in the central part of the county was located here. William A. Lester served as the first postmaster. The Villula Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized about 1850 and served the community until 1900, when it was relocated to Pittsview. The church and a two-room schoolhouse were once situated at the front entrance of Villula Cemetery. Of special note is "The Bird's Nest," constructed by Colonel Lyman Martin about 1858. This historic house was operated for many years by Mrs. Helen Jeorg and was known far and wide as Villula Tea Gardens.

Erected by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Friends of Villula, 2002.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  April 28, 2002



End of Villula