Historic Markers Across Alabama



Tuckabatchee Masonic Lodge



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 4497 US-80, Phenix City, AL
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 27.394    W 085° 11.324
  32.45656666    -85.18873333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Tuckabatchee Masonic Lodge



Front
This historic building was erected in 1848 to serve as the Tuckabatchee Masonic Lodge No. 96. At the time, this community of Crawford, Alabama (formerly known as Crockettsville from 1832 -1843, named after Davy Crockett) was the county seat of Russell County, including part of present-day Lee County to the north. The building served many purposes throughout the years including a place to hold Masonic lodge meetings as well as school and church. The first Masonic meeting in the building was in 1848 and the last official meeting of the Masons in this building was held in 1995. Members of the Crawford Masonic Lodge No. 863 decided to erect a new more modern structure on the same property. The decision was then made to allow a local landowner to purchase and move the old lodge building about 100 feet to the east where it still sits today. Covered in vines and showing signs of decay, the building remained vacant for nearly 19 years until 2012 when a newly elected Russell County Commissioner proposed creating a committee of the community in an effort to lead a restoration effort.

Rear
After being included in the Alabama Historic Commission's "Places in Peril" publication in 2012, the owner of the building agreed to allow the building and property to serve as a county recreation facility. The restoration project began in late 2013. Spearheaded by the Russell County Commission, a committee of local citizens and the members of the Crawford Masonic Lodge No. 863, many volunteers and local contractors also helped in the restoration project. Donations were made by the community to aid in the restoration efforts and brick pavers were purchased and placed on the front walkway to show the community's dedication and support for the project. In 2015, prior to opening the doors to the public, the downstairs was restored for use as a community center and the upstairs was restored and designated as a museum to pay tribute to the original intended use as a sacred Masonic Lodge. This historic building was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on September 6, 1978.

Historic Chattahoochee Commission,
Russell County Convention & Visitors Bureau,
and Russell County Commission.
2016







End of Tuckabatchee Masonic Lodge