Historic Markers Across Alabama



Confederate Forts



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on AL Hwy 25 at the entrance to the Gaston Steam Plant, Wilsonville, AL
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 33° 15.079    W 086° 28.273
  33.25131666    -86.47121666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFW6D
 



Text:

Near this site are the remains of three forts built in 1863 by Confederate troops under the command of Major W.T. Walthall, commander of the military post at Talladega. The forts, built for protection of the Alabama-Tennessee River Railroad trestles across the Coosa River and Yellow Leaf Creek, were manned during the last months of the war by reserve companies consisting of young boys and old men. Barbiere's Reserve Cavalry was stationed here in February 1865. Union troops commanded by General James H. Wilson captured the forts in March 1865.








End of Confederate Forts