Historic Markers Across Alabama



Shelby County Courthouse



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on South Main Street near Mildred Street, Columbiana, Alabama
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 33° 10.632    W 086° 36.432
  33.1772    -86.6072
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Shelby County Courthouse
1854-1908


Original seat of government of Shelby County established in 1818 at Shelbyville (Pelham). Moved to Columbiana 1826. First courthouse a small wooden building located on this site.

Replaced 1854 by two-story brick structure which forms central portion of this building. Later major alterations undertaken. Front and rear extensions added. Renovated structure designed in classical Jeffersonian style.

Continued to serve as seat of county government until 1908 when new courthouse completed two blocks north.

Erected 1982 by Alabama Historical Association 1982.







End of Shelby County Courthouse