Historic Markers Across Alabama



Shelbyville, A.T.



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Pelham Parkway (U.S. 31) and Church Street, Pelham, Alabama
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 33° 17.232    W 086° 48.652
  33.2872    -86.81086666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMEETW
 



Text:

Near this site stood Shelbyville, A.T., first county seat of Shelby County; named for Isaac Shelby, governor of Tennessee. Shelby County was established February 7, 1818 by an act of the Alabama Territorial Legislature. The first orphan's court was held April 4, 1818. Justices were: George Phillips, Patrick Hays, Bennet Ware, Needham Lee, and James Walker.

Erected 1976 by Alabama Historical Association.








End of Shelbyville, A.T.