Historic Markers Across Alabama



University of Montevallo



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Highland Street south of Bloch Street, Montevallo, Alabama
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 33° 6.278    W 086° 51.713
  33.10463333    -86.86188333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

University of Montevallo
National Historic District


Originally named Alabama Girls' Industrial School and later Alabama College, this institution was founded Oct. 12, 1896, by the Alabama Legislature. It was the state college for women until 1956, when it became coeducational. In 1969 the name was changed to the University of Montevallo. In Dec., 1978, the central portion of the campus was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The oldest buildings are King House (1823) and Reynolds Hall (1851).

Erected 1979 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of University of Montevallo