Historic Markers Across Alabama



Ballantrae Golf Course / City of Pelham



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Ballantrae Club Dr, Pelham, AL
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 33° 15.601    W 086° 45.332
  33.26001666    -86.75553333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMMA88
 



Text:

Ballantrae Golf Club

Established 2004

Ballantrae, a very small town in Scotland is best known as the traditional gathering place for the Scottish clan. Golf began in Scotland. Thousands of miles from Scotland, Pelham, Alabama’s Ballantrae community evoked images of the Old World through its architecture when it was designed and its golf course recalled the Scottish heritage of the game of golf. Set in spectacular surroundings, with every dogleg hole presenting a fresh set of challenges, as of 2010, the Ballantrae Golf Course had become of the most popular public courses in the Shelby County area.

City of Pelham


Pelham, located in Shelby County, Alabama, acquired its name in approximately 1867. It was named for “Gallant Pelham” who fought in the Confederate Army and was killed in action at Kelly’s Ford, Virginia on March 17, 1863 at the young age of 24.Major John Pelham gallantly fought and protected the Confederacy Prison Camp located at Cahawba. The town was officially incorporated on July 10, 1964, at which time it has a population of 654. Through the 1990s, Pelham’s population grew by approximately 47 percent and the Pelham Public Library, Pelham Civic Complex and a historic cemetery were all under the operation of the City of Pelham. As of 2010 the population of Pelham was nearly 20,000.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Pelham.







End of Ballantrae Golf Course / City of Pelham