Historic Markers Across Alabama



History of the Town of Vincent



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on Hwy 231 just east of the railroad underpass in Vincent, Alabama
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 33° 23.101    W 086° 24.710
  33.38501666    -86.41183333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDQC4
 



Text:

Side 1:
The town of Vincent is located on land that was granted to the Kidd family by the Governor of the State of Alabama in the 1800's. In 1859, the land was willed to three Kidd daughters, one daughter's name was Anna Bella Vincent after whom the Town was named. The oldest home in Vincent is that of Tom Bell which was built in the 1840's. The two story colonial home was built by expert carpenters and designers using slave labor for the heavy work during the construction. Anne E. McGraw Vincent moved into this house when she was three years old.

Early settlers were the Vincent, Clements, Kidd, McGraw, Elliott and Bell families. Three significant things happened leading to the incorporation of the town. The establishment of a school in 1854, the post office and the building of the railroad in 1887.

The Town of Vincent's Charter was enacted into Law by the State Legislature on February 16, 1897. Among the leaders for enactment of this law was educator, Carroll H. Florey.



Side 2:
The Mayor, Council and Community of the Town of Vincent designates Monday, November 29, 2010 as "Homecoming Weekend" in conjuction with the annual Christmas Parade and Tree Lighting, to pay homage to Alabama's Largest Living, Decorated Christmas Tree.

Our tree was planted in the 1930's and is cherished as a symbol of pride for the Town of Vincent, not only at Christmas but throughout the year.

Town of Vincent home to . . . Alabama's largest Living, Decorated Christmas Tree.







End of History of the Town of Vincent