Historic Markers Across Alabama



Town of Westover



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: On Old Highway 280, west of Green Pine Rd, Westover, AL
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 33° 21.524    W 086° 31.138
  33.35873333    -86.51896666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMG4HA
 



Text:

Town of Westover
Celebrating our Future while Preserving our History


Located in Shelby County, the Town of Westover was established in 1901. Originally called Weldon or Cobb, Westover received its name from the AB&A Railroad. Westover was a passenger and mail stop. The Old Rock School served the children of the area in the 1940s and 1950s. As the sawmills and schools closed, the sewer line, new homes and businesses brought positive growth and change to the area. Incorporated in 2001, Westover is governed by a mayor and five-member city council. At the time of the dedication of this historical marker in 2010, the elected officials were Mayor J. Mark McLaughlin and council members: Samuel L. Mann, Larry Riggins, Annette S. Taylor, Andrea Hunter and Jeanne Champion Fisch. The city clerk was Wayne Jones.







End of Town of Westover