Historic Markers Across Alabama



A County Older Than the State-St. Clair County



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: US Hwy 78 (Cogswell St.) at 18th St. North in Pell City, AL
County: St. Clair
Coordinates: N 33° 35.16    W 086° 17.21
  33.58605    -86.28698
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD505
 



Text:

Created 1818 by territorial legislature. Named for Revolutionary hero, Gen. St. Clair. First settlers from Tennessee, Georgia-veterans of Creek Indian War, 1813-14. Pell City established as industrial town in 1890 by George H. Pell of New York. Growth of population south of Backbone Mt. and difficulty of crossing mountain led to branch county seat here in 1902. County seat at Ashville since 1822. Old Indian trails through this county used by: DeSoto's Spanish conquistadors-1540. Andrew Jackson's forces-1813-14. General Rousseau, Croxton-1864-65.







End of A County Older Than the State-St. Clair County