Historic Markers Across Alabama



A County Older Than the State-St. Clair County



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: US Hwy 231 (6th Avenue) on courthouse lawn, Ashville, AL
County: St. Clair
Coordinates: N 33° 50.19    W 086° 15.31
  33.83657    -86.25528
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD2C1
 



Text:

Created in 1818 in first session of Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by Creek Indian Nation in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814. Named for Gen. Arthur St. Clair, hero of Revolution, governor of Northwest Territory. First settlers from Tennessee, Georgia-veteran of Creek Indian War, 1813-14. County seat since 1822 here at Ashville, named for John Ash, prominent settler. Growing population south of Backbone Mt. led to Pell City branch county seat, 1902.

Erected 1957 by Alabama Historical Association







End of A County Older Than the State-St. Clair County