Historic Markers Across Alabama



John Looney House



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: County Road 24 southwest of Ashville, AL
County: St. Clair
Coordinates: N 33° 49.24    W 086° 11.54
  33.820817    -86.192364
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD4Y0
 



Text:

John Looney House
circa 1820


John Looney and son, Henry, served in General Andrew Jackson's volunteer company which built Fort Strother on Coosa River and later fought at Horseshoe Bend in 1814. Looney's family of nine moved from Maury Co. Tenn. to homestead 1817 in St. Clair County. Land patent granted in 1822. The two story log house with double dog-trot is a rare example of pioneer architecture in Alabama. Restored by St. Clair Historical Society in 1972. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places 1974.

Erected 1978 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of John Looney House