Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Mill Village



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Martin St. North at 26th Street North in Pell City, AL
County: St. Clair
Coordinates: N 33° 35.48    W 086° 16.83
  33.59146    -86.28056
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDMN8
 



Text:

The Pell City Manufacturing Company, completed in 1902, was the main catalyst in the growth and development of Pell City. It was the first cotton mill in the South with the distinctive sawtooth roof design. In addition to the mill itself, the mill complex consisted of the adjacent Mill Village of over one hundred houses, the mill office, a community house, a hospital, and a school. In 1919 the mill was purchased by the Comer interests and became part of the Avondale Mills system. The Mill Village continued as the center of everyday life in Pell City for many years. The mill and Mill Village were added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 21, 2000.







End of The Mill Village