Historic Markers Across Alabama



Lincoln, Alabama



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on County Road 433 north of 1st Avenue, Lincoln, Alabama
County: Talladega
Coordinates: N 33° 36.846    W 086° 7.125
  33.6141    -86.11875
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDMTP
 



Text:

Side 1:
Historical records indicate that DeSoto and his men, as they traveled the South in search of gold, were the first white men to see the Lincoln area. With the ceding of the Creek Indian Territory in 1837, the population of the area increased. The community was known as Kingsville until 1856 when the name was changed to Lincoln. the name Lincoln came from Revolutionary War General Benjamin Lincoln who accepted the sword of surrender from the British at Yorktown, Virginia in 1781. The 1880s represented a period of grown with the construction of the Georgia Pacific Railroad through the community and construction of Dam 5 and Lock 4 on the Coosa River. The local office of the Corps of Engineers remains at Lock 4. The next major events occurred in 1911 with the incorporation of the community and construction of the first county high school The original town limits were slightly over one square mile.


Side 2:
The 1960s marked the beginning of change for the community with the construction of Logan Martin Lake, the Interstate Highway and the Alabama International Motor Speedway (later renamed the Talladega Superspeedway). The city council began the annexation of land surrounding the original town limits and improving and expanding the water system. New parks were built in the 1970s. The decade of the 1980s saw the construction of the first waste water system and preparation of the legislation creating the International Motorsports Hall of Fame. On May 6, 1999, Honda announced their intentions to build an automotive plant here; the City of Lincoln played a key role in that decision.

Erected 2010 by The Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Lincoln.







End of Lincoln, Alabama