Historic Markers Across Alabama



The First Baptist Church - 1872



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 64 Court Square in Alexander City, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates: N 32° 56.59    W 085° 57.23
  32.94331    -85.95393
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHXKZ
 



Text:

In the summer of 1872 a few residents in the village of Youngsville gathered for a revival held on the hill later occupied by Mistletoe Bough. Alexander City’s First Baptist Church and First United Methodist Church trace their origins from that union revival held under a bush arbor.

On August 3, 1872 eleven men and women guided by Rev. A.K. Tribble met under the bush arbor and organized the Youngsville Baptist Church. J.T.P. Christian and B.B. Reams were elected deacons and T.S. Christian, Sr. was elected clerk. Following the town’s name change the next year, the church became the Alexander City Baptist Church. Sunday services were held once a month until 1879.

On this site in 1877 the congregation erected its first house-of-worship, a wood-frame structure valued at $1,000. The church erected new sanctuaries on this site in 1906 and in 1967.

Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.








End of The First Baptist Church - 1872