Historic Markers Across Alabama



First United Methodist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 310 Green Street at Semmes Street in Alexander City, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates: N 32° 56.84    W 085° 57.29
  32.94745    -85.95496
Waymark: WMQ9GE
 



Text:

Following a fire in June 1902 that destroyed the Methodist Episcopal Church of the North Alabama Conference, along with most of downtown Alexander City, the church leadership chose to relocate to this site.

Construction began in 1903 on the neoclassical Romanesque style house of worship. The foundation stones were collected from a nearby farm, and the bricks and timbers were fabricated by local craftsmen within walking distance of the site. The first service in the completed structure was held in May 1906.

The church traces its origin to a small group of Methodists led by Rev. William T. Patillo, who joined with people of other denominations for a union revival held under a bush arbor in the village of Youngsville in the summer of 1872.







End of First United Methodist Church