Historic Markers Across Alabama



Lyman Ward Military Academy



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: AL Hwy 50 @ Cadet Drive in Camp Hill, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates: N 32° 48.12    W 086° 39.51
  32.80204    -86.65855
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHXGH
 



Text:

Lyman Ward Military Academy was founded in 1898 as the Southern Industrial Institute by Dr. Lyman Ward, a Universalist minister from New York. Dr. Ward established SII to educate the poor children of Alabama, many of whom had few opportunities due to the devastation caused by the Civil War and subsequent Reconstruction. With donations received from the citizens of Camp Hill and assistance from fellow reformers like Booker T. Washington, founder of Tuskegee Institute, Ward began his school with the goal of preparing young men and women for what he felt was “the work of life.”


Erected 2007 by Alabama Historical Association







End of Lyman Ward Military Academy