Historic Markers Across Alabama



Needmore - 1873



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 692 Jefferson Street in Alexander City, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates: N 32° 57.10    W 085° 56.82
  32.95174    -85.94711
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQ9GH
 



Text:

Freedmen moving to the new market town of Youngsville in the early 1870s occupied homes along a street they called Needmore Street. They relocated their house of worship from near the present junction of South Central Avenue and Cherokee Road to the Needmore neighborhood where Methodists and Baptists shared a building.

Missionaries from the Methodist Episcopal Church formed a congregation in Alexander City and, in 1873, Bishop Gilbert Haven appointed Rev. George Scott pastor of the new church. In 1876 the church became a charter member of the Central Alabama Conference. In 1895 the Bethel Baptist Church congregation constructed a separate house of worship. Great Bethel Baptist Church attained distinction in the 20th century for its religious and social outreach programs under the leadership of its pastor of 45 years, Rev. Milton Nunn.

Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Needmore - 1873