Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Savannah and Memphis Railroad 1874



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: AL Hwy 63 at Main Street in Alexander City, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates: N 32° 56.69    W 085° 57.20
  32.94491    -85.95342
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHXH3
 



Text:

The transformation of Youngsville from a country hamlet to a market town can be traced from the arrival of the railroad. The Savannah and Memphis Railroad was completed from Opelika to the east side of the Tallapoosa River at Sturdivant in 1872. Anticipating the extension of the railroad to Youngsville, the grateful citizens in 1873 renamed the village's name to Alexander City in honor of Edward Porter Alexander, president of the S&M. On June 24, 1874 an excursion train pulled by an engine christened Simon Suggs steamed into Alexander City bringing dignitaries and visitors who joined thousands of residents to celebrate the inauguration of rail service.

A passenger-freight depot erected in 1874 and rebuilt after the 1902 fire stood on the opposite side of the railroad from this site until relocated to Court Square in 1955.

Erected 1999 by Alabama Historical Association







End of The Savannah and Memphis Railroad 1874