Historic Markers Across Alabama



Youngsville



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: AL Hwy 63 at Russwood Street in Alexander City, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates: N 32° 56.54    W 085° 57.47
  32.94236    -85.95786
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQA5C
 



Text:

Following the Creek Cession of 1832, settlers, mostly from Georgia and the Carolinas, occupied this section of the former Creek Nation. Among the first settlers was James Young who purchased land a half-mile west near a trading post called Georgia Store.

Community life can be dated from 1837 when Griffin Young opened a post office in his store and eight men and women, "The Baptist brethren settlers of Youngsville" organized Fellowship Primitive Baptist Church. The store and the church were within view of this site.

For the first thirty-five years of its existence, Youngsville was a country hamlet of scattered farms, a store-post office and a church. The Civil War delayed the construction of a railroad and an ambitious plan by Griffin Young to promote a "town" on his property.

Anticipating the arrival of the railroad, the Town of Youngsville was incorporated in 1872 and, the next year, the town's name was changed to Alexander City in honor of E. P. Alexander, president of the Savannah and Memphis Railroad.

Erected 1999 by Alabama Historical Association







End of Youngsville