Historic Markers Across Alabama



Daviston School



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: near the Daviston Volunteer Fire Department on AL 22, Daviston, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates: N 33° 03.161    W 085° 38.457
  33.05268333    -85.64095
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQCKZ
 



Text:

In 1883, Walker Allen and his twin, Walter, moved to Daviston. Walker Allen was elected principal of Daviston School. In 1884, a wooden two-story building was started on land given by J.T. Moncus to be called Daviston College. It became a high school around 1912. This building burned in 1923. Another building was built and burned before being used. A third building was constructed in 1923 and received accreditation that year. Lillie Thompson, who graduated in 1916, was the first graduate of Daviston High School. The school closed in 1988. At the time of closing, it was the smallest school in Alabama with 120 K-12 students. Thirty-eight principals served from 1883-1988. For 105 years, Daviston School served as the center of the community. In 1998, a committee formed to initiate a Daviston School Reunion to be held annually in the center of the town on the second Saturday of November.

Alabama Historical Association 2010







End of Daviston School