Historic Markers Across Alabama



Fletcher Napoleon Farrington, Sr.



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: the intersection of South Broadnax St and Eufalla St, Dadeville, AL
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates: N 32° 49.791    W 085° 45.827
  32.82985    -85.76378333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRD93
 



Text:

Fletcher Napoleon Farrington, Sr.
1962 – 1968
County Agent and Civic Leader


Fletcher Farrington, after graduating from the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (now Auburn University), came to Tallapoosa County as a county agent for the Agricultural Extension Service in 1932. Concluding that soil erosion was the local farmers most pressing problem, he launched a cooperative program that loaned small farmers the large tractors needed to introduce the newly developed "Nichols terrace" method of plowing hillside cropland. With the support of the county judge and commissioners, the program was widely emulated as an effective soil conservation tool during the Great Depression.

In 1934, Farrington organized the Dadeville Kiwanis Club and served as its first president. As county agricultural agent and Dadeville community leader, he embraced the idea of "Farm-City Week," a program that brought agricultural and business leaders together to share ideas. Soon after it was introduced to and adopted by Kiwanis International in 1955, Farrington became one of the program's national spokesmen. He retired from the Extension Service in 1961 and began working for the Alabama Farm Bureau's Rural Urban Relations Division. There, he initiated the Agribusiness Career Day program to encourage youth to stay in farming as a business.

Erected by Alabama Historical Association







End of Fletcher Napoleon Farrington, Sr.