Historic Markers Across Alabama



Woods Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: intersection of Horseshoe Bend Rd (AL-49) and Church Rd., Jackson's Gap, Alabama
County: Tallapoosa
Coordinates: N 32° 53.689    W 085° 46.186
  32.89481666    -85.76976666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRD9D
 



Text:

Woods Presbyterian Church


In 1898, nine area residents organized a Presbyterian church with Rev. B.F. Bellinger as organizational pastor. Worship services were held every fourth Sunday in the old Concord School or, weather permitting, under a bush arbor on the site. A cemetery and church building followed in 1905, with timber and foundation-pillar stones for construction all donated. Sunday School rooms were added to the church in 1930, along with 2 rock columns defining the main entrance into the cemetery. The Church was named for Dr. A.J. Wood, who had served the congregation as pastor since its beginning. A portrait of the leading founder of Woods Presbyterian Church, Mary Sims Turner, graces the fellowship hall.

'Now faith is the substance of all things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.' HEBREWS 11:1

Erected by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Woods Presbyterian Church