Historic Markers Across Alabama



Alpha Delta Pi - Organized May 15, 1851



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Magnolia Drive north of Paul W. Bryant Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.397    W 087° 32.893
  33.20661666    -87.54821666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Alpha Delta Pi
Organized May 15, 1851
— ETA Chapter March 21, 1907 —


Alpha Delta Pi, the first college secret sisterhood, was organized at Wesleyan Female College, Macon, Georgia, the first women's college to grant academic degrees. Originally identified as Adelpheans, the group had three thousand alumnae and sixty active members in 1905 when it change its name to Alpha Delta Phi (Pi in 1913) and began to expand nationally. Eta Chapter at the University of Alabama was the first chapter established in the state. Pi Kappa Kappa, the first local sorority at the University, had organized February 6, 1904 and became affiliated with Alpha Delta Phi (Pi) as the Eta Chapter on March 21, 1907. Installation ceremonies were held in the rooms of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. Eta Chapter went into inactive status in 1909-10 because of the scarcity of eligible women students. Reactivation followed on February 14, 1931.

Erected 1996 by Alabama Historical Association.








End of Alpha Delta Pi - Organized May 15, 1851