Historic Markers Across Alabama



Christ Episcopal Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Lurleen B Wallace Boulevard North (U.S. 43) and 6th Street, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.511    W 087° 34.148
  33.20851666    -87.56913333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Christ Episcopal Church
Organized January 7, 1828


The second oldest Episcopal Church in Alabama. Construction begun 1829, completed 1830 at cost of $1700. Enlarged and remodeled in 1880 from original Greek Revival design to present Gothic lines. First pews sold to highest bidder; made free in 1849. Nicholas Hamner Cobbs, first Episcopal Bishop of Alabama, served as Rector 1846-1851. Church bell installed 1830 is still used. A Rectory built 1844 was located where Chapel now stands. Charter ceremonies for University of Alabama held in this church and Rev. Alva Woods installed as first President, University of Alabama, April 12, 1831.

Erected 1975 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Christ Episcopal Church