Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Greensboro Avenue and Stillman Blvd, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.345    W 087° 34.015
  33.20575    -87.56691666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

First Presbyterian Church
Tuscaloosa
Organized 1820.
Moved to this site 1830.
Present structure erected 1921.


Under the leadership of Dr. Charles A. Stillman, (Minister, 1869-1895) it sponsored the founding of Stillman College in 1876. Its bell was the subject of a poem by Samuel Minturn Peck, poet laureate of Alabama.

Erected 1970 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of First Presbyterian Church