Historic Markers Across Alabama



Oliver-Barnard Hall - College of Arts and Sciences



Marker ID:  
Location: from Capstone Drive east of Colonial Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.716    W 087° 32.818
  33.21193333    -87.54696666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Oliver-Barnard Hall
College of Arts and Sciences


Erected: 1889
Reconstructed: 2000


Named for professor, scientist, and photographer F.A.P. Barnard who pioneered the study of astronomy at The University of Alabama and established its chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1851. On August 26, 2000, rededicated Oliver-Barnard Hall in honor of alumni and friend John T. Oliver Jr., trustee of The University of Alabama, and established as a Blount Undergraduate Initiative Academic House. During his 28 years on the Board of Trustees (1971-1999), Oliver played a key role in the selection of four chancellors of The University of Alabama System, three University presidents, and seven president at sister institutions in Birmingham and Huntsville. Contractor: N.C. Morgan Construction Co. Architect: Barganier Davis Sims

Erected by University of Alabama.







End of Oliver-Barnard Hall - College of Arts and Sciences