Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. John The Baptist Catholic Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Lurleen B Wallace Boulevard North (U.S. 43) and 8th Street, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.383    W 087° 34.124
  33.20638333    -87.56873333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. John The Baptist Catholic Church
Erected 1845, tower and bell added 1888-1900


The first meeting of Catholics in Tuscaloosa was held in 1819. The first parochial school was opened in 1863. St. Paul’s Church, Birmingham, dedicated 1872, and churches in Selma, Blocton and Reform began as missions of this church; also originating from this church: St. Francis Chapel and Holy Spirit Church and School.

Erected 1972 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of St. John The Baptist Catholic Church