Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Gorgas-Manly Historic District



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Stadiium Drive and McCorvey Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.767    W 087° 32.809
  33.21278333    -87.54681666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Gorgas-Manly Historic District
includes


The Gorgas House (1829)
First structure built on the original campus

The Round House (1860)
Used by cadets on guard duty, and another of the four buildings to survive the fires set by Federal troops in 1865.

Woods Hall (1868)
First building constructed after the Civil War and serving for the next sixteen years as the University.

Manly (1886), Clark (1886), and Garland (1888) Halls
Built as the State began to recover from the Reconstruction Era.

Tuomey and Barnard Halls (1838)
which completed the nineteenth-century University of Alabama campus.

Side 2:
Twelve Acres Of The Campus of The University Of Alabama including eight buildings designated in The National Register Of Historic Places as The Gorgas-Manly Historic District

Erected 1972 by Alabama Historical Association.








End of The Gorgas-Manly Historic District