Historic Markers Across Alabama



Tuomey Hall - College of Arts and Sciences



Marker ID:  
Location: Building #1199, Tuomey Hall is located on the Campus of the University of Alabama near Capstone Drive west of 6th Avenue, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.703    W 087° 32.704
  33.21171666    -87.54506666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Tuomey Hall
College of Arts and Sciences
Erected: 1888 Reconstructed: 2002


Designed by Montgomery architect W. A. Crossland and named for noted professor and state geologist Michael Tuomey.

Tuomey's survey resulted in the landmark 1849 geological map of Alabama and his work began the Geological Survey of Alabama.

Tuomey Hall originally housed the University of Alabama's chemistry laboratories and offices for the Geological Survey. From 1926 to 1999, it housed the University's Army Reserve Officer Training Corps program.

On April 27, 2002, rededicated as a Blount Undergraduate Initiative Academic House.

Barganier Davis Sims Architects Associated, Architect Billy E. Burnett, Inc., General Contractor.

Erected by University of Alabama.







End of Tuomey Hall - College of Arts and Sciences