Historic Markers Across Alabama



University of Alabama Civil War Memorial - 1861 - 1865



Marker ID:  
Location: near the south entrance to the Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library building #1013 near Capstone Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.666    W 087° 32.766
  33.2111    -87.5461
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

University of Alabama Civil War Memorial
1861 - 1865


The University of Alabama gave to the Confederacy - 7 General Officers, 25 Colonels, 14 Lieutenant - Colonels, 21 Majors, 125 Captains, 273 Staff and other commissioned officers, 66 Non-Commissioned Officers and 294 Private Soldiers. Recognizing obedience to state, they loyally and uncomplainingly met the call of duty, in numberless instances sealing their devotion by their life blood.

And on April 3, 1865, the Cadet Corps, composed wholly of boys, went bravely forth to repel a veteran Federal invading foe, of many times their number, in a vain effort to save their Alma Mater, its buildings, library and laboratories from destruction by fire, which it met at the hands of the enemy on the day following.

To Commemorate this heroic record this memorial stone is erected by the Alabama Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy. University of Alabama May 13, 1914

Erected 1914 by Alabama Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy.







End of University of Alabama Civil War Memorial - 1861 - 1865