Historic Markers Across Alabama



Morgan Hall, 1910



Marker ID:  
Location: on the Campus of the University of Alabama. Marker near the intersection of Colonial Drive and Capstone Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.743    W 087° 32.876
  33.21238333    -87.54793333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Named for John Tyler Morgan (1824-1907).


As U.S. Senator, Morgan led the 1882 campaign to obtain federal funds in reparation for the destruction of the University of Alabama campus by Union Troops in 1865.

A member of the Alabama Secession Convention and a Brigadier General in the Confederate Army, Morgan was later (1876) elected to the U.S. Senate, where he became known as "Canal Morgan" for his strong support of a canal across Central America.

Erected by University of Alabama.







End of Morgan Hall, 1910