Historic Markers Across Alabama



Alabama Central Female College



Marker ID:  
Location: can be reached from the intersection of 6th Street and 28th Avenue, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.463    W 087° 34.465
  33.20771666    -87.57441666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishings were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes.

In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building for ninety-nine years to the newly formed Baptist affiliated Alabama Central Female College. At this time, a large brick four story dormitory was constructed at the west of the building.

On August 22, 1923, the historic building was totally destroyed by fire. In the 1930s the site was cleared for use as a park.

Erected 1992 by City of Tuscaloosa.







End of Alabama Central Female College