Historic Markers Across Alabama



University of Alabama's Slavery Apology



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Hackberry Lane and Margaret Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.757    W 087° 32.556
  33.21261666    -87.5426
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Buried near this plaque are Jack Rudolph and William “Boysey” Brown, two slaves owned by University of Alabama faculty, and William J. Crawford, a University student who died in 1844.

Rudolph was born in Africa about 1791 and died May 5, 1846, from “Bilious Pneumonia.” Brown was born April 10, 1838, and died November 22, 1844, from “Whooping Cough.”

Jack Rudolph and Boysey Brown were among the slaves owned by the University of Alabama and by faculty. Their burials were honored and recognized by the University of Alabama on April 15, 2004. The Faculty Senate apologized for their predecessors’ role in the institution of slavery on April 20, 2004. This plaque honors those whose labor and legacy of perseverance helped to build the University of Alabama Community since its founding.

Erected 2004 by University of Alabama.







End of University of Alabama's Slavery Apology