Historic Markers Across Alabama



Tuscaloosa City Hall



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of University Blvd and 22nd Avenue, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.617    W 087° 33.933
  33.21028333    -87.56555
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWEH9
 



Text:

Constructed in 1909 as US Post Office. First occupied April 1910, with Mrs. Maggie Miller as Postmistress. Federal courtroom, now City Council Chamber, with magnificent design and detail, on second floor, 1910-1968 Thomas A. Jones first Federal presiding judge.
Acquired by City of Tuscaloosa in 1968 and renovated as City Hall with George M. Van Tassel, Mayor, C. Snow Hinton and George K. Ryan, Commissioners.

Erected 1977 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Tuscaloosa City Hall