Historic Markers Across Alabama



University of Alabama



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: located next to Denny Chimes on the Campus of the University of Alabama near University Boulevard west of 6th Avenue, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.603    W 087° 32.779
  33.21005    -87.54631666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Endowed by Congress 1819
Ordained by State constitution 1819
And established by
General Assembly 1820
Instruction Begun 1831
Unofficial Training School
Confederate Officers 1861-65
Destroyed by Federal Army
April 4, 1865, Rebuilding Begun 1867
and Reopened 1868.


Erected 1985 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of University of Alabama