Historic Markers Across Alabama



Stillman College



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Stillman Boulevard, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.04    W 087° 34.992
  33.20066666    -87.5832
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute 1876 by Presbyterian Church U.S. under leadership of Dr. Charles Allen Stillman, pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Tuscaloosa, to train Black ministers. Renamed Stillman Institute 1894 for Dr. Stillman, first superintendent. Became co-educational 1899. Past programs included seminary, high school, vocational school, junior college, school of nursing and hospital services for Blacks. Four year program begun, renamed Stillman College 1948. Accredited senior college 1953.

Erected 1974 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Stillman College