Historic Markers Across Alabama



Site of Franklin Hall - (The Mound)



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: located a few yards south of the John T. Oliver-Barnard Hall building #1027 on the Campus of the University of Alabama, near Capstone Drive east of Colonial Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.697    W 087° 32.824
  33.21161666    -87.54706666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Franklin Hall, and early University dormitory designed by Capt. William Nichols, was erected on this site in 1835. Was one of the buildings destroyed by the Union raid on April 4, 1865. After Civil War the remains of structure were shaped into present mound. By early 20th century this mound had become traditional site for honorary tappings by The University.

Marker donated by Phi Mu Sorority in commemoration of its 50th anniversary at the University of Alabama.

Erected 1981 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Site of Franklin Hall - (The Mound)