Historic Markers Across Alabama



Castle Hill - Daly Bottom Community



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Paul W Bryant Drive east of 2nd Avenue, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.35    W 087° 32.15
  33.20583333    -87.53583333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1883 the Castle Hill Real Estate and Manufacturing Company began the first eastern expansion of the original 1821 Tuscaloosa city limits. Hoping to stimulate development in the area, the company created a popular amusement park centered around and artificial lake. Portions of this property had belonged to Delaware Jackson, a freed slave who had been given the land for courage and loyalty. In 1881 Jackson organized the Bethel Baptist Church and, in 1917, he donated nearby land for the Baptist Academy, a community school. The name was changed to the Tuscaloosa County Training School for Negroes and later to the Castle Hill Elementary School. “Daly Bottom,” the area at the base of the hill closest to the University of Alabama was named for landowner Rafe A. Daly. The Castle Hill / Daly Bottom neighborhood gave birth to Bethel Baptist, Tenth Street Baptist, and two Methodist churches including Tabernacle AME Zion. Many of its residents later distinguished themselves in many walks of life.

Erected 1998 by Alabama Historical Association.








End of Castle Hill - Daly Bottom Community