Historic Markers Across Alabama



Greenwood Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: reached from the intersection of Ty Rogers Avenue (27th Avenue) and 10th Street, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.237    W 087° 34.235
  33.20395    -87.57058333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Laid out in the original city plan, Greenwood is Tuscaloosa’ oldest surviving cemetery. It has been in continuous use since prior to 1820. The earliest marked grave is dated 1821.

Some of the ornate marble markers located in Greenwood were carved in New Orleans, however, many were carved from local sandstone by masons working on the state capitol once located three blocks north. Only grass covers many of the older plots of African and Native Americans and white settlers.

Greenwood is the final resting place of five veterans of the American Revolution, Confederate General Phillip Dale Roddy, Sallie Ann Swope, volunteer Civil War nurse, Jack and Jerry Winn who worked to buy their freedom from slavery and Solomon Perteat, a prominent antebellum “free man of color” as well as more than 2,500 other individuals in marked and unmarked graves.

Erected 1996 by City of Tuscaloosa, Heritage Commission of Tuscaloosa County and Cahaba Trace Commission.







End of Greenwood Cemetery