Historic Markers Across Alabama



Woods Hall, 1868



Marker ID:  
Location: Building # 1214, Woods Hall is located on the Campus of the University of Alabama, near McCorvey Drive and Stadium Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.794    W 087° 32.748
  33.21323333    -87.5458
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Named for Alva Woods (1794-1887), First President of the University of Alabama, 1831-1837.

Constructed after the Civil War, this gothic revival structure was built of materials salvaged from the original campus, burned by Federal Troops in April 1865. For almost two decades, Woods Hall housed the entire university.

In keeping with the University's Military Governance (1860-1903), "The Barracks" -- as the hall was first designated--was patterned after buildings on the campus of The Virginia Military Institute.

Erected by University of Alabama.







End of Woods Hall, 1868