Historic Markers Across Alabama



Smith Hall, 1908



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of 6th Avenue and Capstone Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.717    W 087° 32.6
  33.21195    -87.54333333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Named for Eugene Allen Smith (1841-1927), University Professor and State Geologist, who served the State in this dual capacity for fifty-four years.

Smith rebuilt the collections of the Alabama Museum of Natural History, which had been destroyed by Federal Troops in 1865. As State Geologist he made an unparalleled contribution to knowledge of the State's mineral resources.

Erected by University of Alabama.







End of Smith Hall, 1908