Historic Markers Across Alabama



Navigation and Shipbuilding On The Black Warrior River



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Greensboro Avenue north of 2nd Street (Jack Warner Parkway), Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.755    W 087° 34.343
  33.21258333    -87.57238333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Navigation improvements to the Black Warrior River (1888-1895) spurred marine commerce throughout the 20th century. Local ship-builders included the Perkins Brothers, Herman & Son, Corp of Engineers Boatyard, and Baker Towboat. Vessel types included barges, government workboats and towboats. Some of the boats built here were the Black Warrior, Dixie, Gold Bug, Mary, Nelma and R. G. Parker. Numerous navigation companies served the area, six had terminals on the river between Tuscaloosa and Holt in the 1930s. Companies based her included Findlay Towing, Perkins Towboat and Parker Towing.

Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Navigation and Shipbuilding On The Black Warrior River