Historic Markers Across Alabama



Tuscaloosa First United Methodist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Greensboro Avenue and 8th Street, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.4    W 087° 34.033
  33.20666666    -87.56721666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCVWQ
 



Text:

Organized 1818 by Ebenezer Hearn. First building on this site erected in 1834 included a church bell moulded in Boston by coppersmiths Paul Revere and Sons. Present structure with marble Ionic columns was constructed 1922; Education Annex in 1953; Chitwood Hall in 1964. Edward Sims, a member and prominent local leader, in 1826 built and donated to this church, Tuscaloosa Female College. William W. Brandon, Alabama Governor (1923-1927) was a member. Served by outstanding ministers: four became Methodist bishops: Robert Paine, John C. Keener, James H. McCoy and Clare Purcell. This church has and continues to faithfully proclaim the compassion of Christ.

Erected 1973 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Tuscaloosa First United Methodist Church