Historic Markers Across Alabama



First African Baptist Church - Tuscaloosa, Alabama



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Stillman Boulevard and Ty Rogers Avenue, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 12.292    W 087° 34.233
  33.20486666    -87.57055
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized November 1866, with 144 members. The Rev. Prince Murrell, first pastor, served until 1885. A church building located at corner of 4th Street and 24th Avenue was purchased and became place of worship during pastorate of the Rev. James Mason, 1885-1891. Resolution passed in this church 1873 resulted in establishment of Selma University, Selma, Alabama.

Present structure erected 1907 under leadership of the Rev. J. H. Smith. Church annex completed and adjoining property purchased during pastorate of the Rev. W. B. Shealey, 1952-1957. Education building and new parsonage constructed during term of the Rev. T. Y. Rogers, Jr., 1963-1971.

Erected 1975 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of First African Baptist Church - Tuscaloosa, Alabama