Historic Markers Across Alabama



Tuscaloosa County Veterans Memorial



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on McFarland Boulevard East, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
County: Tuscaloosa
Coordinates: N 33° 11.59    W 087° 31.54
  33.19316666    -87.52566666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Provided by local veterans and other dedicated citizens, this memorial pays tribute to all veterans of Tuscaloosa County who were engaged in the nine major American wars, 1776-1976. Rising centrally is the mainmast of World War II heavy cruiser USS Tuscaloosa, which fought gallantly in five crucial campaigns. Surrounding the mast are nine granite tablets depicting the wars, within a broken circle, hopefully symbolizing the end of warfare.
On this site stood the chapel of the 140 acre Northington U.S. Army General Hospital, 1943-1947, named in honor of Dr. Eugene Northington, Alabama pioneer in the use of medical X-rays.

Erected 1978 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Tuscaloosa County Veterans Memorial